Saturday, September 3, 2011

Peach Dipping Sauce

I have had this book for a couple years.  I was thumbing through it looking for some ideas for preserving pears and came across this recipe for peach dipping sauce.


I had some frozen peaches in the freezer that were past their use by date and decided this would be a good way to use them up. The peaches were just starting to turn a little brown when thawed and since they would turn brown when cooking, that shouldn't be a problem.


I diced the peaches and onions as instructed.  Placed them into a pan along with the spices and cooked until tender.  Once the peaches started getting soft, I used a potato masher to mash the larger pieces.  Once they had cooked a little while longer I got out the big gun.


The hand mixer.  I rarely get to use it and forget how great it works.  It's like a power tool for girls.  I felt  a little like Tim Taylor from Home Improvement when using it.  I almost had the urge to grunt as he did.




 Just look how easy it is to puree with the hand mixer.  It reminds me of baby food.  If only they would have made these when my son was a baby.  (Maybe they did and I didn't think to use it for that).  Making home made baby food would have been so easy!  The food processor just didn't do the job. 


 

I had prepared my jars before hand and placed the seals in a pan to heat up.  
  This gadget is wonderful to help remove the lids from the boiling hot water. 
It is made by ball and has a magnet on the end to pick up the seals with.
Once the sauce was boiling it was time to place it into the jars.  I used jelly jars so we could open a small amount each time we wanted to enjoy the sauce. 


I ended up with 10 jars.  I am not a big fan of cloves, and if I make this recipe again I will cut down on the amount of cloves added.  Just tasting the sauce made we want to go out and get some chicken nuggets or chicken tenders to dip into this sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment