Saturday, May 22, 2010

Dehydrator Oatmeal Cookies

I’m going to share a recipe I got from a friend, Nicole. These cookies are not only good, they are healthy for you. The best part is they are made with a food dehydrator! You can make these in the summer when you don’t want to heat up your house because it’s too already warm. When I initially started to make these my son’s response was “I’m not going to eat that”. As I was mixing the ingredients, the aroma started to entice him. I gave him a spoon full of the “batter” and had him try it. He immediately asked how soon until they are ready. I said one hour. The smell that fills your house while these are dehydrating is amazing.  As soon as they were complete he tested them and gave them his approval.

The recipe consists of ingredients you most likely have on hand. If not, they are simple to obtain. I love the fact I can use my food dehydrator to make them. It’s another reason for me to put my dehydrator to use. If you don’t have a food dehydrator you could use your oven. Just turn it to warm for a few minutes and then shut it off. Having a thermometer inside your oven would be helpful.

The recipe doesn’t make a large batch of cookies, so if you want to try a test batch the recipe as listed is great.

Dehydrator Oatmeal Cookies

4 T. Almond butter (I would think natural peanut butter or sun butter would work and taste similar)
4 T. Honey
4 T. water
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cup quick oats
1/4 cup raisins

Mix first 3 ingredients, and then remainder. Drop by teaspoonfuls on dehydrator tray at 115 for 1 hour. (I used a cookie scoop to measure and drop them onto the dehydrator tray and then pressed them flat with my hands).

When I make them I use Skippy Organic Creamy peanut butter but may try crunchy next time. I use Really Raw Honey with the top scraped off. I don’t care for all of the wax it has in it so I scoop off the top and throw it away.

You could alter this recipe by adding flax seed or changing the raisins to cherries.  The next time I make them I’m going to try cherries and see how they turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment