Monday, July 19, 2010

Pimento Cream Cheese Spread

Last night I tried a recipe I found on a fellow bloggers site http://iowasue.blogspot.com/ .  It turned out yummy!  As usual, I realized I don't have any crackers to eat the spread on.  I opted to try it on homemade bread instead.  It was good, but I think  I'm going to make some rye bread today which I think will go great with the spread.  I love eating those mini rye bread loaves you buy in the store with cheese spreads on.  Making my own rye bread will save me a trip to the store!

When I was younger my grandmother got me hooked on those little jar cheese spreads.  We would always spend New Year's Eve with my grandparent's and have our own celebration.  This was one of the things she would always have for us.  My favorites are the pimento and pineapple spreads.  This recipe is very close to the pimento cheese spread in the jar, but easier to spread! And probably better for you since you know the ingredients that you are putting into it.  Who knows what type of preservatives are in those for them to be able to sit on the shelf for so long!

The recipe is also much cheaper to make.  It seemed to make about three times the amount that comes in the jars, and last time I looked, the jars were almost $2. each.  Not to mention, you are left with a glass jar to do something with.  Either recycle or reuse.  Put it this way, we have lots of juice jars in our cupboard and no room for anymore.

Pimento Cheese Spread

8 ounces Cream Cheese
2 ounces cheddar cheese -- shredded
1 tablespoon Heavy Cream
½ Cup Pimientos, Canned -- 4 ounce jar - drained
Combine cheeses & cream in food processor until fluffy. Pulse in pimentos. Makes 12 oz. cheese spread.


This recipe and others can be found here on the Iowa Housewife's Blog.  It is simple to make and only takes a few minutes to prepare.

I used a small food processor and I'm sure it would go much quicker with a standard sized one, however, once again, someone else thought they needed my larger food processor more than I did. ( I was told the girl friend was able to get a lot of use out of it.  Gives me a warm fuzzy just to think about it ;)
.
If I had more room I would purchase a larger one, but currently I have no place to store it.   I'm not sure how making coleslaw is going to work with the smaller food processor.  I haven't tried it yet, but my cabbage is coming along nicely so it won't be long!

No comments:

Post a Comment