Monday, June 13, 2011

The Babies Will be Here Tomorrow!



It has been a dreary day today.  It has rained off and on.  It makes me miss my teenager even more.  Tomorrow is the delivery date for our new babies. My son picked the breeds we ordered and now he won't be here to get to see them.  He had made plans before we knew the delivery date. 

Getting more baby chicks is both exciting and more work.  Although new babies are always fun and cute, they require more care than the older girls do.  I have read a lot about having one of your established hens become a foster parent to new hatchlings.  I haven't decided if I want to bring one of the girls inside to "nest" with the babies or keep them separated until the babies are a little older. 
Part of me wonders if maybe they will get along better once they are mixed with the older girls if one of the hens watches over them as if they were her own. 

Right now I still have a few things to get together to get ready for the baby chicks like wash up the food and water trays and dig out the box I had saved to house them in.  Baby chicks tend to stir up a lot of dust which I am not looking forward to having in the basement, yet again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment