Monday, June 6, 2011

Rhubarb, Rhubarb, and MORE Rhubarb!

The Rhubarb Patch
There were several perennials growing on the property when we purchased the house, rhubarb happened to be one of them.  For several years the patch stayed the same size.  Last year I dug some of it up to share with my parents so they could have their own patch.  In doing so it made the patch expand even more!
I never cared for rhubarb and either gave it away or cut it and tossed it onto the compost pile.  I wanted to keep the patch growing, so I continued to cut off any seed heads to help it flourish.  This way I was always able to share it with others.

This year I dug more up to give away and fertilized with my compost.  It started growing like crazy.  Having started on a quest or desire of wanting to use more of what was available and buy less, I made my mind up I was going to try rhubarb in various ways and see if I could acquire a taste for it. 

One of the first things I tried was making a simple syrup.  All you do is add sugar to the rhubarb and cook it.   Actually it's a little more than that, but it's as simple as syrup.  Having a soda stream I used the simple syrup to make rhubarb soda, which actually turned out to be really tasty!
Rhubarb Simple Syrup

Cut cleaned rhubarb into small pieces.  Depending on how sweet you like things will determine the amount of sugar you use.  I used a cup of sugar to approximately 3 cups of chopped rhubarb.  You don't need to add water because rhubarb is loaded with it.  Some recipes call to add water, but I chose not to.  Simmer the rhubarb and sugar until the sugar dissolves.  I used a potato masher to crush the rhubarb while simmering.  Continue to simmer until the rhubarb is soft.  Strain using cheese cloth or mess strainer.  You can use the pulp for other recipes or discard.  Place the syrup in the refrigerator and use to drizzle over ice cream, add to iced tea, or to seltzer for soda.


The quest for more rhubarb recipes.
 There are several recipes using rhubarb in The Taste of Home Baking Classics Cookbook.


I picked up this cookbook at Sam's Club for less than $15 and love it!  It has become my nighttime reading material for now.  (That is until my next Mother Earth News Magazine comes).  I have tried several recipes from the cookbook and haven't been disappointed with any of them.




 I didn't want to type the recipe out so I took a picture of it instead.  It turned out a lot better than I had anticipated.

This recipe was absolutely YUMMY!  I cut it in half and it made more than I could eat.  I am the only one in my household that will eat rhubarb so anything I make I have to share with friends. 


For more recipes using rhubarb check out this site. 
You will be amazed at the number of recipes listed.

No comments:

Post a Comment