Tuesday, July 26, 2011

And the Heat is Back.....

We had a short break from the heat with the rain the other day, however, it's back and more humid than before.  The garden isn't looking very good.  I have moths swarming my brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, and kale all day long.  I put bird netting over the beds, but they can still get in.  It's a constant struggle to keep up with removing their eggs and caterpillars.  I am afraid it has become a loosing battle.

With the extreme heat, very few of the plants are producing as they should.  My tomatoes are not growing very well.  I have gotten a few small grape tomatoes from the volunteer plants that popped up unexpectedly.  How sad is that when your volunteer plants do better than the ones you actually planted?  The only zucchini I had growing rotted on the vine before it was large enough to pick and no others seem to be taking its place.
I had one cucumber on the vine yesterday I was leaving to get bigger and today it's gone!  I am guessing one of the many rabbits that frequent our yard enjoyed it.  We may have to try some rabbit stew this winter! 

With the heat I haven't been baking, so my family is having cookie withdrawals.  If it would cool off I'm sure we would all feel like doing more.  The heat is wearing us out.  Even the chickens don't want to do anything but sit in the dirt and try to keep cool.  The lowest high this week so far appears to be 87 degrees and that isn't until Friday.  Looks like it's going to be another long week.

No comments:

Post a Comment